Sunday, June 14, 2009

Apartment

posted by Alan
* Click on the link at the bottom to see a full gallery and full size pictures.

I know many of you have been waiting to see pictures of our apartment. It's starting to feel like home now, so it's time to show you. These are just a few shots of the inside. Click the link at the bottom of the post to see more in depth pictures.



I've already mentioned the location in an earlier post and we've come to appreciate the great location and proximity to the subway more and more everyday. It's right down the block from the place we go every Sunday, and its also in a really central location, so pretty much anywhere in the city isn't too far. Tonight we just had people over, watched Taken on DVD and ordered in pizza.







A friend brought up an interesting point today that rang very true. She mentioned that when we're living in our hometowns, we have family and friends around that even if they're not checking on us, there is some accountability there. But when they move here, that is missing and they can kind of do whatever they want and get away with it. And I've seen plenty of it already. I'm wondering whats the tipping point where some foreigners fall into that and others dont. Donald Miller wrote in the book, 'Blue Like Jazz', "intrinsically, the soul of a man unwatched, is perverse." It's a scary, but very sobering thought. I'm glad I have a wife.

Response to comments:
Robbie: Does that mean I'm getting skinny or you're getting diesel?....or fat?
Gary: It was actually as much fun as Mohonk... but even more fun cuz we got a house and stayed over.
Sung: The Chinese soccer fans were cheering like crazy. And yeah, they had one section where they had a couple of people leading all the chants. The germans chanted just as loud it seemed though. As for travelling, as Calvin says, "It's a magical world out there, Hobbes ol' buddy...Lets go exploring!"

Click here for pictures: PICTURES OF OUR APARTMENT

2 comments:

  1. crazy, I just finished reading "Blue Like Jazz" last night! There's some great one liners in that book (not the haha-funny or zingers, but sparkplug moments that make you go 'ah ha!') Thanks for sharing the pics. You've got quite a big apt., and it looks cozy too. Love the view too! --Calvin (from Canada)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree - I think the difference between those that get trapped by sin in a consequence-free environment and those that struggle well totally is bound up in accountability. Basically, are you actively pursuing relationships of accountability, people who will breathe down your neck when you don't want them to? I always feel this way when I travel. The first thing I do is seek that out. I know I suck at being good.

    ReplyDelete