Thursday, October 1, 2009

Bye China, Hi Malaysia

posted by Alan
(click on pictures to see them full size)

So, after the post about our Slingbox, I kind of take it back. First big Penn State game, get up nice and early to see ESPN's college gameday at my old campus and Iowa knocks us out of the championship picture for the second year in a row. To all my fellow combination Penn State/Mets fans, why do we do this to ourselves? At least I'm not a Knicks fan too.

I forgot where I heard it, but I remember hearing the realization that how much you actually use your camera is a good indication of the activity level going on in your life. I know it's been true for me, as when I'm doing things that are new, fun and interesting, I have plenty of pictures during these times. But there have been times when I don't touch my camera for weeks and it's because things just have been pretty routine and there's been nothing really worthy of picture-taking. I know this isn't true for EVERYone as there are some who never take pictures of anything (Daisy) and some who insist on pictures for everything ('let's take a picture together even though we're in a dark bar and the entire background is indistinguishable and we do this every weekend, and we're roommates/best friends, making every single picture look almost identical!')

As I was saying, this statement is pretty accurate for me, so I try to keep my life full of camera-worthy events and activities. There's hardly a boring moment out here in Shanghai, as EVERYTHING is new and different and interesting, but i think anywhere you live, its easy to fall into the comfort of routine. But if you know me, I don't like being bored, so I'll be doing my best to keep my daily life picture worthy..

Pizza and Game Night (Detective, head up....)

2009 Shanghai Golden Grand Prix. NO Usain Bolt, but featuring Tyson Gay and the return of Chinese National Hero, Liu Xiang. Go USA.


Dinner and bowling for my cousin Nick's birthday


A visit to the Hai from Cheryl and Brian

October 1st marks the start of one of the three golden weeks here in China. This year, it's the 60th Anniversary of the Communist Party taking power in China. The entire country has off and EVERYONE travels. We have a group of 8, headed down to Tioman Island off the Eastern coast of Malaysia for a week. It's supposed to be one of the most beautiful places in the world, known for its seclusion, scuba diving and just overall natural beauty. We're absolutely looking forward to getting out of the city and relaxing on pristine beaches for a few days. Pictures for sure when we return...

No comments:

Post a Comment