Thursday, July 16, 2009

Sneakerheads



(posted by Alan)
* Click on pictures to see them full sized and on the link below to see a full album.

This post is for those who are into the whole sneaker culture that has taken the urban fashion scene by storm over the past decade. I'm not much of a sneakerhead myself, but I do like to consider myself quite hip to whats going on with the kids these days.

So we're browsing the fake market, and Daisy sees a pair of sneakers that she really likes. They're a brand we've seen on some of my students back in Henan and a few local, common people (construction workers, old folk doin tai chi in the park, etc.) here in China. Really cheap, basically canvas and rubber, but very comfortable. Unfortunately, they don't have her size, but she really, really liked them.


Check the Warriors on his feet.

A little research is done, and it turns out that this Fei Yue brand is the sneaker you would have worn as a kid in the streets in the 70's and has since become a part of Shanghai nostalgia. As Shanghai has evolved into the modern, fashion-forward city it is now, this brand has fallen by the wayside, but Westerners have discovered the shoe ( Orlando Bloom in fei yue's) and in 2006, a French company bought the brand and took the trend to Europe, where the shoes are selling for $70 USD a pair. They have a cult following among Westerners here in Shanghai and there is one fabled, hole-in-the-wall shop here in the city that still is connected to the original factory.... and we found it. 28 RMB ($4 USD). They even come in the authentic, NYC deli-like, paper bag wrapping.


I picked up my own pair of Shanghai footwear history at the same shop. The Warrior basketball shoe. Also made in Shanghai and worn by the locals back in the 70's and 80's. These cost 39 RMB ($5.60 USD)


So what do you New York sneakerheads think? Coming soon to the East Village?

This post was so materialistic (yet, still packed with fascinating, historical facts!) I promise the next post will have much more substance.

Pedro? The Phillies? Why?
------------------------------------------
Got a great tip and now we're back online with what seems like full access to the internet. If you're in my part of the world and you want in, let me know and I'll hook you up.
------------------------------------------
Click here for pictures: PICTURES OF SHANGHAI SNEAKERS

Response to comments:
Corey - Control is an overriding theme over here. Let's leave it at that. Freedom is a universal concept. Yet, not universally practiced. Appreciate it.
Sung - I actually know the answer to your question. 85 degrees is the exact temperature at which coffee should be served (I didn't know that, someone told me). I'd like to hear some of the reasons you had in your head. Cool Ranch Doritos are imported. Although they have other flavored doritos here that are not imported. But not Cool Ranch... I'm still scratching my head on that one. And yes, there are still nutritional facts on things here.

6 comments:

  1. They're adorable! And I love the background you provided. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yo man if they run like converse, my size in 8 1/2 ! bring back a pair for me! check this video out. Its about sneaker culture

    http://coreyfolo.wordpress.com/2009/07/01/its-all-about-the-sneaker-culture/

    ReplyDelete
  3. feeling the yellow blue ones

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yo, those kicks are crazy low! they make running sneakers look like high tops. westerners were outta their minds to play ball in 'em. they might as well worn bruce lee's kung fu slippers. they kinda resemble the nike's forrest gump wore.

    http://www.kixandthecity.com/2009/01/15/nike-cortez-forrest-gump-white-red-blue/

    (dang, had to write out that whole url. why can't you copy and paste here?)

    -pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks like tretorn meets... puma?
    i like em!

    ReplyDelete